My name is Alanna Reyes and you're visiting my website!
Ph.D. student, Communication and Science Studies at UC San Diego.
Click the buttons above to navigate.
- Ph.D. student in Communication and Science Studies;
University of California, San Diego, since 2016.
- B.S. in Science, Technology, and Society (Life Sciences and Biotechnology);
Stanford University, 2010-2014.
keywords: (dis)ability, technology, culture
examples: technology in the media, superhero narratives and disability, transnational disability studies, digital game design & culture, learning/training via digital gaming, embodied storytelling, laboratory education and knowledge production
- Operations Lead, SMASH Academy Alumni Leadership Board; the Level Playing Field Institute, 2017-2018.
- Honors Program Coordinator, McCoy Center for Ethics in Society; Stanford University, 2014-2016.
- Preceptor, The Leland Scholars Program; Stanford University, 2012-2013.
- Joseph Naiman Graduate Fellowship recipient, UC San Diego Program in Japanese Studies, AY 2018-19.
- Artist in Residence, OFFICE--SPACED Residency; Culture, Art, Technology Program at UC San Diego, Oct 2017-Feb 2018 (term 1).
- Cota Robles Diversity Fellowship recipient, UC San Diego Graduate Division, Sept 2016 - present.
Reyes, A. (2018). For the Ordinary, or the Extraordinary? Assistive Technology and Media Representation. Presented at Theorizing The Web 2018 in New York City, NY. Presentation recording here - begins at 27:35.
Reyes, A. (2017). Press Start: Intersectionality, Video Games, and Identity. Presented at the Science Studies Program Biennial Conference at UC San Diego, CA.
Older sister, dancer, marathon runner, and video gamer.
Alanna earned a B.S. in Science, Technology, and Society (STS) from Stanford in 2014 with foci in chemistry and philosophy. She was treasurer of the Alpha Alpha chapter of Alpha Chi Sigma, a professional chemistry fraternity, from 2012-2014. She currently serves as the Operations Lead for the SMASH Academy Leadership Board for the 2017-2018 academic year.
Alanna's advisor is currently Angela Booker from the UC San Diego Communication Department. Alanna loves being a communication (singular) scholar because communication, at its core, is about reconciling the self with the other (or so John Durham Peters said).
Alanna is a classical ballerina by training, but loves to play and try all sports. Fun dance experiences include a workshop with Robert Moses Kin and a 3-year stint with Stanford's Bollywood fusion dance team, Dil Se. Next up: learning some martial arts fundamentals with the wonderful UCSD Yongmudo Hapkido group.
Void Screamers Eats
Scroll through the map for a compilation of my friends' favorite restaurants across the US. Go to my contact form if you'd like to submit something!
Make sure you zoom out to look at Hawaii too :)
Department of Communication #0503
Media Center and Communication Building (MCC)
University of California San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA
(or click an icon below to contact me electronically)
embodied storytelling collective (ESC)
The Embodied Storytelling Collective (ESC for short) was founded in 2017 by four UCSD Communication PhD Students: Jonathan Walton, Amira Silver-Swartz, Caroline Collins, and Alanna Reyes. ESC was awarded the UCSD Sixth College's inaugural Culture, Art, and Technology OFFICE--SPACED residency for the 2017-2018 academic year.
Orientation video for ESCorp project